When toilets are used as wet bins, sanitary items such as wipes, sanitary towels and cotton bud sticks, as well as other bathroom products quickly block sewers. Blockages in sewers can lead to increased number of sewer overflows resulting in untreated sewage entering the environment, polluting bathing waters and potentially backing up into homes and businesses.
- Never use the toilet as a wet bin!
- Remember, only the 4Ps (pee, poo, paper and puke) should go down the loo.
- Make sure a bin is available in bathroom for sanitary products, ensuring only the 4 P’s go into the toilet.
- Put up a Think Before You Flush sticker in public toilets to remind users not to use toilets as a wet bin.
- Pass on the Think Before You Flush message to other friends and colleagues.